Sunday, April 18, 2010

5 year old babies

I'm such a sucker at report card time. I spend so much time just staring at that darn screen for each grade (which is only N, S or an S+) in each subject area for each student. From the perspective of being a student, I want to make some children who are trying so hard feel encouraged with a good grade. From the perspective of a parent wanting their child to do well, I want to give grades that correctly reflect how my child is doing so I know what areas I need to give them extra help in.

Now, of course I do my best to give grades that truly reflect the effort and improvement in each area. Sadly however, from the perspective of these students' teacher I worry about what some of these grades can bring on to these poor kids. I've heard of horrific things happening to these babies when they get into trouble, and I don't want anything I do to bring that on to them. Obviously they "earn" their grade, but seriously. They're 5.

There are so much these kids have seen and so much they've had to deal with before they ever passed 5. This week one of my students found a rat in her room and killed it with a frying pan. My 6 year old Elias screamed when he saw a stink bug.

My heart breaks for those children daily. Lord, thank you for your protection over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment